Helm v3.0.0-beta.4 is the fourth beta release for Helm 3.
We want to take a moment to thank everyone that has been participating in finding issues, triaging, testing, and contributing fixes.
The community keeps growing, and we'd love to see you there!
- Join the discussion in Kubernetes Slack:
#helm-usersfor questions and just to hang out
#helm-devfor discussing PRs, code, and bugs
- Hang out at the Public Developer Call: Thursday, 9:30 Pacific via Zoom
- Test, debug, and contribute charts: GitHub/helm/charts
Notable Features and Fixes
A security fix for CVE-2019-1000008 from Helm 2 was identified as missing in Helm 3. This CVE has now been patched in Helm 3. Please update to v3.0.0-beta.4 to receive this fix.
A few breaking changes to the API were made this release. You can find a list of those changes here.
The most notable features for this release include:
- switching from
depto Go modules
--recreate-podsflag has been deprecated
- the code for the
--outputflag has been heavily refactored, making the codebase more DRY
- Helm now adds a type prefix to the release storage name to ensure a smooth migration path from Helm 2:
- aliases for
helm repo ls,
helm repo rm,
helm plugin lsand
helm plugin rmhave been introduced
- CLI autocompletion continues to receive multiple enhancements/fixes
- flag/environment variable parsing has been improved
- the "app version" field has been added back to
- fixed an issue where
helm upgradewould create a release in certain cases where it should fail, taking ownership of resources (see #6407 for more info)
- fixed an issue where
helm templateinitiated a connection with Kubernetes even if the
--validateflag was not present
- fixed an issue where the
--reuse-valuesflag wasn't being respected when using conditions
Several features from Helm 2 were ported over this release, including:
helm template, recently introduced to Helm 2
--waitflag now skips waiting if the object is in a "paused" state
- Ingress support for the
- changes made recently to
helm createfrom Helm 2
- Kubernetes objects are now submitted to Kubernetes in batches based on Kind (Deployment, Pod, Secret, etc.)
- fixed an issue where Helm now passes back the exit code from the plugin being invoked
The next release will be Helm 3.0.0-beta.5. The maintainers will be focusing on fixing any bugs and porting over any missing features from Helm 2. You can find a list of those missing features here.
As this is a beta, we don't expect there to be any more breaking changes, but there is still a small chance that porting a feature from Helm 2 or other bugs could cause a breaking change. In that case, these changes will be clearly called out in the release notes.
Installation and Upgrading
Download Helm 3.0.0-beta.4. The common platform binaries are here:
- MacOS amd64 (checksum)
- Linux 386 (checksum)
- Linux amd64 (checksum)
- Linux arm64 (checksum)
- Linux arm (checksum)
- Linux ppc64le (checksum)
- Linux s390x (checksum)
- Windows amd64 (checksum)
The changelog for this release can be found here.