Contour Deployment with Split Pods
This is an advanced deployment guide to configure Contour in a Deployment separate from Envoy which allows for easier scaling of each component. This configuration has several advantages:
- Envoy runs as a daemonset which allows for distributed scaling across workers in the cluster
- Envoy runs on host networking which exposes Envoy directly without additional networking hops
- Contour is run as Deployment and Envoy as a Daemonset
- Envoy runs on host networking
- Envoy runs on ports 80 & 443
- Clone the Contour repository and cd into the repo.
kubectl apply -f deployment/ds-hostnet-split/
NOTE: The current configuration exposes the
/stats path from the Envoy Admin UI so that Prometheus can scrape for metrics.
- Install a workload (see the kuard example in the main deployment guide).