I want to build a web interface for our door. It will start off as something really simple and evolve to something more useful.
- Get Arduino starter kit, start experimenting with that jazz.
- Test door buzzer, learn how it works, voltages, current used, etc.
- Make a Ruby script that will switch a relay using the Arduino.
- Create a Sinatra web service http://door.unspace.ca, make it so that when a POST is issued it throws the relay.
- Add some authentication to the web app and inactivation periods.
- Connect it to the door.
Add a camera to the loop which takes the picture of people who enter.
Add a Jabber interface to the door which people can subscribe to, when someone tries to buzz in, it will send an IM to whoever subscribes with a picture of the person trying to enter, they can then reply "yes" if they want to let the person in. If they reply "no" then we will record that and attach it to the photo.
Make a history for the door, store the image of everyone who enters and let people see those on door.unspace.ca
Sound integration? Perhaps an LED display? Embedded system?