Licensing and attribution
🤔: What's the license of OpenMoji for app / website / book / ad / video ... projects?
Thank you for wanting to use OpenMoji in your project! OpenMoji is published under the Creative Commons Share Alike License 4.0 (CC BY-SA 4.0). This means you are free to:
- Share — copy and redistribute OpenMoji in any medium or format
- Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon OpenMoji
- for any purpose, even commercially.
Under the following terms:
- Attribution — You must give OpenMoji appropriate credit, and indicate if changes were made (e.g. like we do in our changelog). You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the OpenMoji Project endorses you or your use.
- ShareAlike — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license CC BY-SA 4.0 as OpenMoji.
(Bullet points are based on the official license text of CC BY-SA 4.0)
🤔: What is the suggested attribution for OpenMoji?
🤔: How to attribute OpenMoji in a film / video / youtube clip?
- Add the suggested OpenMoji attribution to your video description (text below your video e.g. on youtube)
- Mention OpenMoji e.g. in the credits section at the end, in the voice track or add a small footnote when the first OpenMoji appears
🤔: How can I help or contribute to OpenMoji?
Contributions and help are very welcome! Please check the CONTRIBUTING.md guide!
🤔: I would like to propose a new OpenMoji, how does this work?
🤔: Does the OpenMoji project have a Contributor License Agreement (CLA)?
No. OpenMoji does not have an explicit Contributor License Agreement. We simply go with common practice of many open source projects: "inbound = outbound"! Every Github user already agrees to this via the terms of service of Github:
Whenever you make a contribution to a repository containing notice of a license, you license your contribution under the same terms, and you agree that you have the right to license your contribution under those terms.
Full discussion and context in #120.
🤔: I suggested / proposed / asked for an Emoji ... but why is my name not listed as "author" of the new OpenMoji?
Because we decided that the authorship should go to the person who took actively care of everything in terms of making: sketching, designing, testing, iterating, discussing etc. until the new OpenMoji was accepted. Idealy the same person takes care of the entire pipeline from start to end. However if the initial suggestion was by a different person, we will acknowledge this is the changelog.txt file while still credit the "maker" as the author.
🤔: The OpenMoji Black or Colorfont is not working as expected ... is this me?
🤔: Is there an "emoji popup" or "emoji picker" available for OpenMoji?
No, we are sorry! This is simply out of scope. But all other ways to consume/use/download OpenMojis are listed under Downloads & Distribution Channels.