Skip to content

HTTPS clone URL

Subversion checkout URL

You can clone with HTTPS or Subversion.

Download ZIP
branch: master
Fetching contributors…

Cannot retrieve contributors at this time

38 lines (36 sloc) 2.345 kb
<?php
include './inc/init.php';
$tmpl->set('siteName', $translations->siteName);
$tmpl->set('siteTagline', $translations->siteTagline);
$tmpl->set('pageName', 'glossary');
$tmpl->set('title', 'RDTN.ORG Glossary');
$tmpl->set('lang', $lang);
$tmpl->place('header');
?>
<div class="content">
<h1>Glossary</h1>
<div class="relativeWrap">
<div style="padding: 10px;">
Iodine-131 (<sup>131</sup>I), also called radioiodine (though many other radioactive isotopes of this element are known), is an
important radioisotope of iodine. It has a radioactive decay half life of about eight days. Its uses are mostly
medical and pharmaceutical. It also plays a role as a major radioactive hazard present in nuclear fission products,
and was a significant contributor to the health effects from open-air atomic bomb testing in the 1950s, and from the
Chernobyl disaster, as well as being a threatening presence today in the Japanese nuclear crisis. This is because I-131
is a major uranium, plutonium and indirectly thorium fission product, comprising nearly 3% of the total products of fission (by weight).
</div>
<div style="padding: 10px;">
Cesium-137 (137 55Cs, Cs-137) is a radioactive isotope of cesium which is formed as a fission product by nuclear fission.
It has a half-life of about 30.17 years, and decays by beta emission to a metastable nuclear isomer of barium-137:
barium-137m (137mBa, Ba-137m). (About 95 percent of the nuclear decay leads to this isomer. The other 5.0 percent directly populates
the ground state, which is stable.) Ba-137m has a half-life of about 2.55 minutes, and it is responsible for all of the
emissions of gamma rays. One gram of cesium-137 has an activity of 3.215 terabecquerel (TBq).[2]
</div>
<div style="padding: 10px;">
Plutonium-239 is an isotope of plutonium. Plutonium-239 is the primary fissile isotope used for the production of
nuclear weapons, although uranium-235 has also been used and is currently the secondary isotope. Plutonium-239 is
also one of the three main isotopes demonstrated usable as fuel in nuclear reactors, along with uranium-235 and
uranium-233. Plutonium-239 has a half-life of 24,200 years.
</div>
</div>
</div>
<?php $tmpl->place('footer') ?>
Jump to Line
Something went wrong with that request. Please try again.