Skip to content
Switch branches/tags
Go to file
Cannot retrieve contributors at this time
layout title permalink

hillhacks is a multi-day event so clearly you will need to find somewhere to stay, keep clean and perform vital bodily functions. Three options are listed below in order of preference. Feel free to discuss your accommodation hacks on the [mailing list][ml].


This is the preferred option.

Enjoy the great outdoors. Camping facilities on the property are limited to about 50 tents, so this is first-come, first-served. When the campsite is filled, we will identify fresh camping spots; you will need to pay a minimal charge to the property owner directly.

You must bring your own tent, sleeping mat and sleeping bag. We will not be able to provide tents this year. If you do not own a tent yet, cheap tents can be bought at Decathlon. In previous years, local attendees have offered to bulk-buy tents for people and bring them to the venue. Please discuss on the [mailing list][ml].

You will be able to share sanitary facilities in the main venue and there is a stream a short distance away.

Stay nearby

If you come without a tent, you must find accommodation nearby. There are plenty of homestays and hotels in and around Bir Billing. Booking in advance is recommended. Use your favourite search engine or app to find a space that suits your needs and budget.

On-site rooms

Four of the six rooms at our venue are used for workshops, a shared lounge, and other common spaces. The toilet and bathing facilities in these rooms are shared by all of the campers on site.

We reserve one room as an infirmary/nursery and one for solo women travellers who would prefer not to sleep alone in tents. These rooms' bathing facilities are also shared with campers and conference attendees.

If you are arriving very early in the morning, you may have a nap in the lounge before you set up your tent later in the day.

You will need to bring your own sheets or a sleeping bag.

Please [let us know by email][e] if you would like to stay in a shared room at the venue so we can plan occupancy. Note that your stay in a shared room is not confirmed until we tell you it is. Preference will be given to attendees with particular needs (injury, illness, infants, etc.).

FAQ: Do foreign nationals need a Protected Area Permit (PAP)?

Please be aware that foreign nationals require a Protected Area Permit (PAP) for being out at night in the surrounding areas.

Our hillhacks campsite does not require foreign nationals to get a permit. However, the nearby surround village (which has all the restaurants) does require a permit post sunset.

To apply for a PAP, submit the following at the registration desk:

  • 2 passport size color photographs
  • 2 copies of your passport (B/W photocopies should do)
  • 2 photocopes of your Indian Visa.

You can get photocopies done nearby, and there is a shop (Digital Seva) near Hotel Surya Classic where you can get passport photos made.

Further [details on the PAP application][pap_details]{:target="_blank"} are available on the Deer Park Institute website. You can submit these documents at the Registration Desk and we will get you the permit via an agent (who is charging us 500 INR/permit). Alternatively, you can apply for the permit in person at Dharamshala. See the above-mentioned Deer Park website for how.

Indian Citizens staying at the main venue will need to hand over a copy of their identity proof. If you are staying elsewhere, we don't need it, but your hotel may.

[ml]: {% link pages/ %} [e]: [pap_details]: *[PAP]: Protected Area Permit