check-print: Print Checks From Your Web Browser
This is an HTML file that formats check properties for printing on QuickBooks-compliant standard business checks - directly from a web browser. I've written an article on my blog explaining why you would want a template for printing checks outside of QuickBooks, so I'm not going to re-state it here.
Please be aware, you need to purchase and supply your own QuickBooks-compliant checks onto which your check properties will be printed.
- Pull down the project (or just copy and paste the contents of check-template-standard-business.html into a text editor).
- In this HTML file, search for every occurrence of "REPLACE-ME". These are the values for check #1 that you can (and should) replace/customize:
- date - The date when the check is first eligible to be cashed/deposited.
- payTo - To whom the check should be made out.
- amountNbr - The amount of the check, as a number.
- amountTxt - The amount of the check, written out long-form.
- payToAddress - Lines 1 through 5 of the recipient's address.
- memo - A short note to include on the check.
- The same values can be set/customized for checks #2 and #3. If you only need to print one check, leave the values for these two blank. If you only need to print two checks, leave the values for the third check blank.
- Save the file and open it in your web browser.
- Use your web browser's print function to print your checks.
- Be sure to feed your pre-printed checks into your printer first.
- When printing, be sure to set the "Page Headers" and "Page Footers" to blank values (instead of the default Title, URL, Date/Time, Page #, etc.).
I've tested this on the following browsers:
- Firefox on Mac OS X
- (that's it :)
In addition, I've only tested this on my own printers, with one set of checks. So, your mileage may vary. When printing, I take the default margin settings. On Firefox, that means setting "Paper Size" to "US Letter", which I believe equates to the following margins:
- Top: 0.20 inches
- Bottom: 0.20 inches
- Left: 0.20 inches
- Right: 0.20 inches
Possible Future Enhancements
- Support for other check formats. (e.g., wallet checks, etc.)
- Ability to supply check properties from a form instead of editing HTML.