Make Your App Material
App: XYZ Reader
Udacity Android Developer Nanodegree Project# 6
In this project, you will redesign an app to follow the Material Design guidelines and translate a set of static design mocks to a living and breathing app.
Why this Project?
This project gives you an opportunity to improve an app’s design, a vital skill for building apps users will love. It also replicates a common developer task of updating and changing an app's design as new standards are released.
What Will I Learn?
Through this project, you will:
- Understand the fundamentals of Android design.
- Apply Material Design guidelines to an mobile application.
- Separate an interface into surfaces.
- Effectively use transitions and motion.
How Will I Complete this Project?
You will improve an app for this project:
- XYZ Reader: A mock RSS feed reader featuring banner photos and headlines. Download the code here. The app is currently functional, and work in most cases for most users.
Your job will be to take the user feedback in the UI Review node, and implement changes that will improve the UI and make it conform to Material Design.
- Download a zip file of the app.
- Read the UI Review below under the heading User Feedback for XYZ Reader
- Spend time exploring the current state of the app, looking for ways it could be improved. The app will need multiple improvements. Be sure to look specifically at issues called out in the UI Review.
- Execute the improvements!
- Make a single GitHub repo with your code for the app and submit it through the Nanodegree portal. See the Submission and Evaluation node for detailed instructions.
User Feedback for XYZ Reader:
“This app is starting to shape up but it feels a bit off in quite a few places. I can't put finger on it but it feels odd.”
“Is the text supposed to be so wonky and unreadable? It is not accessible to those of us without perfect vision."
“The color scheme is really sad and I shouldn't feel sad.”
✔️ App uses the Design Support library and its provided widget types (
There're some widgets that you could use that's part of the Material Design, like the
CollapsingToolbar for example, but I'll check it ok here, don't forget to check the code review for more tips.
✔️ App uses
CoordinatorLayout for the main Activity.
✔️ App theme extends from
✔️ App uses an
AppBar and associated
All fine here.
✔️ App provides a Floating Action Button for the most common action(s).
Excellent, the app is using a FAB provided by the support library.
✔️ App properly specifies elevations for app bars, FABs, and other elements specified in the Material Design specification.
Your app specifies elevation for app bars and fab properly. Good job!