Trolls: don't feed them. For a survey of various kinds of trolls, see Tantek's TrollTaxonomy. I have several Gmail filters which apply a 'troll' tag to emails from these people. Here's what it looks like:
I find highlighting threads with troll participants with a big, red warning label helps to prioritize other, more productive threads as I read mail.
Now that Gmail supports filter importing and exporting, I thought I'd share my troll filters with others.
People I consider to be trolls:
- Dean Anderson (email@example.com)
- Robert J Burns (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- John Foliot (email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com)
- Xah Lee (firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com)
- William Loughborough (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Andy Mabbett (email@example.com)
- Shelley Powers (firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com)
- Leif Halvard Silli (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Philip TAYLOR (P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk)
- Dmitry Turin (email@example.com)
See also people Tantek considers to be trolls.