Carnets is a stand-alone Jupyter notebook server and client. Edit your notebooks on the go, even where there is no network.
To install without building:
Carnets has been approved for TestFlight by Apple. Send an e-mail to receive an invitation.
To build it yourself:
- clone the git repository
- open Xcode, change the developer key, compile and install.
Known issues / things to do:
- Save notebooks when app becomes inactive / background.
- Save last open notebook and restore when the app reopens.
- Better user interface for startup screen / ability to open notebooks everywhere, in place.
- You can't have more than 5 kernels running simultaneously.
- Related: silently terminate oldest kernel when we approach the maximum number of kernels.
- "Terminals" don't work. Todo: Remove the option from the menus.
- We are leaking 8-9 file descriptors for each kernel launch, and one thread. Trying to addres either of these results in more file descriptors being leaked.
- Ability to open notebooks in other applications (Safari, Juno...)
Recently fixed bugs:
- Fixed: Starting the 10th or so kernel fails with
zmq.error.ZMQError: Too many open files
- "new file", "new notebook", "copy notebook" now open a new window (instead of opening a blank window).
- Issue #3: "Kernel / restart and run all" does not work (kernel shudown followed by kernel restart does). Fixed with 9e3faa7
- Issue #2:
pip installdoes not work (the package is unavailable, but the install process appears to have worked). Fixed with ee4cdc7
To install new packages:
If it's a pure python package, you can install it yourself:
!pip install packageName
and remove it if it doesn't work:
!pip uninstall -y packageName
(you need the "-y" flag because there is no interaction)
Otherwise, open an issue and I'll add it to the default packages.