Home Assistant Add-on: SSH server
Allow logging in remotely to Home Assistant using SSH or just the web terminal with Ingress.
Setting up an SSH server allows access to your Home Assistant folders with any SSH client. It also includes a command-line tool to access the Home Assistant API.
Try it out using:
Follow these steps to get the add-on installed on your system:
- Navigate in your Home Assistant frontend to Supervisor -> Add-on Store.
- Find the "SSH server" add-on and click it.
- Click on the "INSTALL" button.
How to use
You need enable the port for external access. You can just enter 22 as value or any other value like you want. This recommend to add login credentials.
To use this add-on, you must have a private/public key to log in. To generate them, follow the instructions for Windows and these for other platforms. It is possible to set a password for login since version 2.0 but for high security use private/public keys.
You can not run both variants at the same time. Enabling login via keys, will disable password login.
- Add a ssh key to
authorized_keysor set a
passwordin the add-on configuration.
- Start the add-on.
- Connect to your device using your preferred SSH client and use
rootas the username.
After logging in, you will find yourself in this add-on’s container.
The Home Assistant configuration directory is mounted on the path
authorized_keys: - ssh-rsa AKDJD3839...== my-key password: ''
Your public keys for the authorized key file. You can authorize multiple keys by adding multiple public keys to the list.
Set a password for login. We do NOT recommend this variant.
To enable ssh access via the network, you need to enter the port number ‘22’ or the port you want to use. This will map that port from the hassio host into the running “Terminal & SSH” container.
Known issues and limitations
- This add-on will not enable you to install packages or do anything as root. This is not working with Home Assistant.
You have several options to get them answered:
- The Home Assistant Discord Chat Server.
- The Home Assistant Community Forum.
- Join the Reddit subreddit in /r/homeassistant
In case you've found a bug, please open an issue on our GitHub.