This is the first official release of Hometown! This release is up to date with Mastodon v2.9.3, so please check there for individual patch notes if you're upgrading from Mastodon 2.9.2 or lower.
Unique features we are launching with include:
- Local only posting (aka posts that never federate)
- In-line reading of full articles behind a cut for length
- Exclusive lists which let you follow accounts without them clogging up your home timeline
- Custom themes by Emma Winston
If you're installing Hometown for the first time, please follow the instructions on the wiki. You should have Mastodon v2.9.2 installed, or v2.9.3 will work too.
Upgrading from pre-release
For those of you wonderful people who had already installed a pre-release Hometown from source, you can upgrade using the following instructions:
git fetch && git checkout v1.0.0+2.9.3
- Install dependencies:
- If you were relying on Puma and Node binding to
0.0.0.0by default for your setup, adjust your configuration by using the
- Precompile the assets:
RAILS_ENV=production bundle exec rails assets:precompile
- Restart all Mastodon processes
A note on versioning
You might wonder what the version number means. The
1.0.0 part is the actual Hometown version number, and then the
2.9.3 after the
+ sign is what's known in semantic versioning as "build metadata". It just means that this release has all the Mastodon version 2.9.3 features in it.