Turbo Native for Android
Note: The Hotwire frameworks are presented in beta form. We're using them all in production with HEY, but expect that significant changes might be made in response to early feedback.
Build high-fidelity hybrid apps with native navigation and a single shared web view. Turbo Native for Android provides the tooling to wrap your Turbo 7-enabled web app in a native Android shell. It manages a single WebView instance across multiple Fragment destinations, giving you native navigation UI with all the client-side performance benefits of Turbo.
- Reuse mobile web views across platforms. Create your views once, on the server, in HTML. Deploy them to iOS, Android, and mobile browsers simultaneously. Ship new features without waiting on Play Store approval.
- Enhance web views with native UI. Navigate web views using native patterns. Augment web UI with native controls.
- Produce large apps with small teams. Achieve baseline HTML coverage for free. Upgrade to native views as needed.
- Android SDK 24+ is required as the
minSdkVersionin your build.gradle.
- This library is written entirely in Kotlin, and your app should use Kotlin as well. Compatibility with Java is not provided or supported.
- This library supports web apps using either Turbo 7 or Turbolinks 5.
Turbolinks) is exposed on the
windowobject on the WebView page being loaded.
Note: You should understand how Turbo works with web applications in the browser before attempting to use Turbo Android. See the Turbo 7 documentation for details.
The best way to get started with Turbo Android is to try out the demo app first to get familiar with the framework. The demo app walks you through all the basic Turbo flows as well as some advanced features. To run the demo, clone this repo, open the directory in Android Studio, and build the
demo module to your Android device. See demo/README.md for more details about the demo. When you’re ready to start your own application, read through the rest of the documentation.
See the instructions to build the project yourself.
Turbo Android is open-source software, freely distributable under the terms of an MIT-style license. The source code is hosted on GitHub. Development is sponsored by Basecamp.
We welcome contributions in the form of bug reports, pull requests, or thoughtful discussions in the GitHub issue tracker.
Please note that this project is released with a Contributor Code of Conduct. By participating in this project you agree to abide by its terms.
© 2020 Basecamp, LLC