Personal Finance (Net Worth Tracking) Spreadsheet
A simple to use community-driven advanced spreadsheet (Google Sheets/Excel) for personal finance management, net worth tracking, general money management, financial goals and FIRE (Financial Independence Retire Early). Grown from the knowledge and interests of various Reddit money-based sub-reddits.
Designed for British Pounds in the UK (GBP£) - but I'm sure it could work for other currencies/countries too. Make sure to check for new versions as they may include bug fixes, improvements and new features!
Subscribe to the emailing list for spreadsheet updates, choose 'only finance' unless you'd like to see all my blogs posts about programming too! Infrequent emails, no-nonsense mailing list: http://eepurl.com/gk5GzX
View the current version spreadsheet (Google Sheet) here, to use/edit it yourself choose
File > Save a Copy:
Table of Contents
- Todo & Coming Soon
- Why does this exist?
- Why is it free? (TL;DR - community developed, you can donate time/money or not)
- Where? Links: Project Home GitHub, Help @benhoskins64 Twitter, Donations, Discussions at Reddit.
- Change-log & History
- Extra information in the Wiki.
Emergency Fund KPI, keep track of your disaster fund/buffer.
Networth Tracking, keep track of assets and liabilities, visualise trends and growth/loss.
- LA - Liquid Asset (Cash & equivalents)
- A - Asset (Stuff you own)
- S&S - Stocks & Shares (Other peoples stuff you own)
- FX - Foreign Exchange (Other currencies/FOREX)
- DCE - Crypto Exchange (Cryptocurrency e.g. Bitcoin)
- L - Liability (Stuff you owe, loans, credit cards etc)
- Explain Excel hikup and improve export archive. source
- Bring formulas into Git, via per-sheet Google Sheet export and commit. source
- Make Wiki with FAQ & Acronym Terms Glossary source
- WIP Features: Financial Goal/KPI e.g. FS, LeanFI, FI, FatFI
- WIP Tool: Various levels of financial independence calculator
- WIP Tool: Retirement planning calculator
- Tool: Advanced mortgage calculator
- Feature: day-to-day budgets auto-imported from modern banks
After looking around online for something suitable to track personal finance, and seeing the people of Reddit using their own various spreadsheets (r/FinancialIndependence, r/FireUK, r/PersonalFinance, r/UKPersonalFinance) - So I decided to put this spreadsheet together... I'm a programmer not a financial advisor and wanted a better way to manage personal finances, but don't have the time or capital to put together a full web-app just yet.
License / Cost
This spreadsheet is free to use for personal use (at your own peril!), the more people use it and provide feedback the better we can make it.
Please do not sell or redistribute this spreadsheet/work or claim as your own etc. Refer people to this GitHub page so they can join in and help improve it too!
I'll publish updates as I find the time - donations (features/feedback/monetary) are welcome if you would like to support the project! :)
GitHub is a place where users can donate their time and ideas, open 'issues' with feedback & questions, and where like-minded people can help develop the project by; fork/commit/pull-request their edits/improvements.
I'll do my best to help users with any basic questions on Twitter, if it's a bigger problem than expected, or a feature request it's probably best on GitHub in the 'issues' section.
Any donationed amount is greatly welcomed! Just buy me a 'thanks coffee', anything you feel it's worth, or absolutely nothing at all.
I'm a programmer by-day, finance enthusiast by-night! I've used this myself for sometime and thought we could all benefit from pooling ideas and resources - I intend to keep working on it regardless - and every penny goes a long way to freeing up more time and resources to develop the project further! :)
- First post on Twitter
- First post on Reddit UK Personal Finance
- GitHub Issues
- First Post on BenHoskins.dev Blog
Change-log & History
- 2019-03-02 v1.4 Made first public release copy and mentioned on r/UKPersonalFinance.
- 2019-01-07 v1.3 Preparation for public release copy
- 2019-01-06 v1.2 Added settings, fixes and Intro tab.
- 2018-08-01 v1.1 Improved graph, formulas & ease of use.
- 2018-07-01 v0 So how does this work.
- 2019-01-06 Still very much in the early stages, works for basic usage currently. Hoping to grow the features with feedback and advice from the community! :)
- 2018-06 Started development in private and using personally, inspired/motivated by the various sub-reddits mentioned above. (and the lack of a good existing solution!)