FeedGin : Feeds in Pidgin
A Python script that
- fetches feeds (RSS, Atom) from their specified URLs
- shows the updates as messages in a conversation view in pidgin
- keeps track of the time of the updates so that previously shown updates are not shown again
Can be used with any RSS / Atom feeds including:
- Blog updates
- Twitter posts
- GitHub updates, etc.
- Python (requires Python 2.7+)
- FeedParser 5.1 - A Python library for parsing various types of feeds
feedgin.pyfile to a local directory such as
Edit the file to setup feeds. Follow the examples in the top of the file.
Set up a cron job such as:
*/5 * * * * DISPLAY=:0 ./local/bin/feedgin.py
The above cron-job runs this script every 5 minutes. The
DISPLAY=:0sets up the environment to allow DBUS communication in the cronjob.