In this repository You will find some necessary software bricks which will allow You to create Your own variant of a digital Primer (DP). DP is a new kind of medium whose raison d'etre is to educate. Its ideal hardware embodiment looks like a book and has multiple properties of a book. Instead of using screens, device uses e-ink displays (mostly using IT8951 controller) to present visual or textual content. Strong emphasis is to be put on speech technologies (automatic speech recognition and speech synthesis) and touchless human-machine interaction. Recommended platform: Raspberry Pi Zero running Raspbian OS.
#Structure Fibel has a following structure:
Curriculum -> Epoch -> Lection -> Exercise
Curriculum (e.g. "Lesen") and Epoch (e.g. "Tiere") form a topic with specific TOPIC_DIR (e.g. Lesen/Tiere/)
Folios are associated to topics and lessons mix specific folios associated to the topic.
Folio-mixing is attained by means of symlinks.
How to generate folios for a new topic:
- specify the font (e.g. 'schola'), voice (e.g. 'ask') and drawing (e.g. 'lux') authors
- populate the Lexicon with Your BMP images and WAV recordings
- create the "Units" subdir of the TOPIC_DIR populated with files whose names match names of subdirs in the lexicon
- run python3 generate_foliae.py TOPIC_DIR
How to create new lesson:
- Generate folios for a new topic (c.f. above)
- Within the topic dir, create the "Lectiones" subdir (e.g. TOPIC_DIR/Lectiones/)
- Within the Lectiones subdir, create the lesson subdir whose name is identic to numeric LESSON_ID (e.g. TOPIC_DIR/Lectiones/1)
- Within the "Deck" subdir of a specific lesson subdir, create symlinks to topic Foliae. Symlink names should be sorted according to the sequence in which You want Folios to get loaded (and potentially also appear)
- run python3 generate_lesson.py TOPIC_DIR LESSON_ID