Current status: unmaintained
I'm the only maintainter of PdfMasher and I've lost interest in ebooks a good while ago (back to good old paper). Therefore, this app is unmaintained.
If you're interested in assuming maintainership of this app, don't hesitate to fork it off. When you feel you're on a good enough track to assume maintainership, it will be a pleasure for me to point to your fork. Just tell me.
Contents of this folder
This package contains the source for PdfMasher. Its documentation is available online. Here's how this source tree is organised:
- core: Contains the core logic code for PdfMasher. It's Python code.
- cocoa: UI code for the Cocoa toolkit. It's Objective-C code.
- qt: UI code for the Qt toolkit. It's written in Python and uses PyQt.
- images: Images used by the different UI codebases.
- debian: Skeleton files required to create a .deb package
- help: Help document, written for Sphinx.
There are also other sub-folder that comes from external repositories and are part of this repo as git subtrees:
- hscommon: A collection of helpers used across HS applications.
- cocoalib: A collection of helpers used across Cocoa UI codebases of HS applications.
- qtlib: A collection of helpers used across Qt UI codebases of HS applications.
How to build PdfMasher from source
The very, very, very easy way
If you're on Linux or Mac, there's a bootstrap script that will make building very, very easy. There might be some things that you need to install manually on your system, but the bootstrap script will tell you when what you need to install. You can run the bootstrap with:
and follow instructions from the script. You can then ignore the rest of the build documentation.
Then, you have to make sure that your system has its "non-pip-installable" prerequisites installed:
- All systems: Python 3.3+.
- Mac OS X: The last XCode to have the 10.7 SDK included.
- Windows: Visual Studio 2010, PyQt 4.8+, cx_Freeze and Advanced Installer (you only need the last two if you want to create an installer)
On Ubuntu, the apt-get command to install all pre-requisites is:
$ apt-get install python3-dev python3-pyqt4 pyqt4-dev-tools python3-setuptools
Setting up the virtual environment
Use Python's built-in
pyvenv to create a virtual environment in which we're going to install our.
pyvenv is built-in Python but, unlike its
it doesn't install setuptools and pip (unless you use Python 3.4+), so it has to be installed
$ pyvenv --system-site-packages env $ source env/bin/activate $ python get-pip.py
Then, you can install pip requirements in your virtualenv:
$ pip install -r requirements-[osx|win].txt
([osx|win] depends, of course, on your platform. On other platforms, just use requirements.txt).
Actual building and running
With your virtualenv activated, you can build and run PdfMasher with these commands:
$ python configure.py $ python build.py $ python run.py
You can also package PdfMasher into an installable package with:
$ python package.py