This is a CVE-2016-5195 PoC for 64-bit Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow (perhaps 7.0 ?), as well as an universal & stable temporal root tool. It does not require a SUID executable or any filesystem changes.
- SELinux bypass (see below for details).
- Memory-only: does not modify the filesystem or need special executable.
- Stable: does not affect stability of your device.
- Scalable: easy to add new kernel and/or new devices.
- Reversible: the backdoor is cleared automatically after the root shell ends, which means no reboot is required after usage.
By "SELinux bypass" I mean the payload will run in init domian even if SELinux is in enforcing mode, however, a patch to sepolicy is still needed for making init domain unconfined. Usually this means a modified boot image is required.
- I, Robot by Isaac Asimov.
- "dirtycow-capable" device.
- patched sepolicy.
Pre-built binaries are available on the release page. Otherwise, just add NDK standalone toolchain into
PATH and run
You may run it through an adb shell (place it under /data/local/tmp) and get a root shell either in the built-in terminal or a remote terminal server such as nc. For details, run it without any parameters.
- firstly please read through the "Attention" part above.
- "insufficient place for payload" or "unknown kernel": a reboot is required.
- "waiting for reverse connect shell": please wake up your device, open the clock/alarm app or toggle the bluetooth switch in order to trigger the backdoor.
- still no luck: please run the "dbg" version and send an e-mail to me with the generated files which are just dump of some part of kernel and don't contain any personal information.
- scumjr for the vDSO patching method.
- Tzul for helping me debug the sepolicy problem.
- RenaKunisaki for making it work with bionic.
- Enrich the kernel database for x86 support and so on.
- Test it on Android 7 Nougat (help wanted!).