Clone this wiki locally
What Is SparkleDotNET? | The End User Experience | Using SparkleDotNET | Signing Your Updates | Info.plist Keys | Generating an Appcast | Anonymous User Profiles | Letting Your Users Customise SparkleDotNET | Localizing SparkleDotNET
What Is SparkleDotNET?
SparkleDotNET is an easy-to-use yet powerful update framework for .NET developers, ported from Andy Matuschak's excellent updater framework for Mac OS X apps - Sparkle. If you're looking for an updater framework for Windows applications that don't use .NET, check out WinSparkle.
At the time of writing SparkleDotNET contains nearly all of Sparkle's feature set, and is much more complete than WinSparkle.
- Self updating - no work required from the user.
- Displays release notes to the user via a web view.
- Displays detailed download progress information to the user while they’re viewing the release notes.
- Really, really easy to use in your project.
- Uses appcasts for release information.
- Seamless integration—there's no mention of Sparkle; your icons and app name are used.
- Uses DSA signatures for ultra-secure updates.
- Requires a single line of code in your app, so it's trivial to upgrade or remove the module.
- Optionally sends user demographic information to the server when checking for updates.
- Uses bang up-to-date Windows 7 APIs for displaying update progress to the user.
- .NET Framework 4.0 Client Profile for distributed application.
- Web host for download files and appcast.
- Updater deployed as an MSI file, Inno Setup or InstallShield .exe for the best user experience. Other .exe updaters have basic support.
This is the license agreement for all of the code contained in SparkleDotNET. In a nutshell:
- You can use this code as you with in your own products, whether they are open source, free or commercial.
- You may modify the code.
- If you redistribute the code without modifying it, you must include the original license.
- We’re not liable for the code, nor can we provide any support for it.
- If you don’t agree to this license, don’t use our code!
The Agreement Copyright (c) 2010 KennettNet Software Limited All rights reserved.
Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
- Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
- The name of the author may not be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR “AS IS” AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.