Reason Why for a 2-Level model ?
Mapping a ecosystem essentially consists of identifying "WHO? does WHAT?, HOW? and WHY?".
The answer to each of these questions can advantageously be provided via a "2-level" model :
- A 1st level which refers to "Intentional" concepts (relating to the finality of the thing).
- A 2nd level which refers to "Extensional" concepts (relating to the nature of the thing)
For example, the answer to the question "WHO?"
is given at the 1st level by the intentional concept #Agent (= "the thing that acts (whatever its nature)") then it is completed at the 2nd level by different extensionals concepts
Classically it can be about the following concepts:
- #Person: A particular individu
- #Organization: A set of #Person or #Organization #
But potentially it can just as well be one or the other of the following concepts:
- #Project: Specific initiative of a #Person or #Organization
- #Software: A software-type product (e.g. an AI instance that performs taxonomies)
- #Product: A hardware-type product (ex: a self-driven "taxi" car that offers trips)
The answer to the question "WHAT?"
is answered at the 1st level by the intentional concept #Deliverable (="the thing that is delivered/developed/specified (regardless of its nature)") then is completed at the 2nd level by different extensional concepts that take into account "the nature of the thing" (at a more or less detailed level depending on the need): #Product, #Service, ...
A similar "mechanics" applies for the answer to the other questions ...
This two-level approach has the advantage that an intentional model can be defined that is "orthogonal" (= independent) to the extensional model.
This provides a generic model of the ecosystem description that can be specialized according to the type of ecosystem to be mapped.
Note: Note the extensional model itself may have a certain level of genericity if it is possible to manage in the form of taxonomies the different concepts that are potential candidates for being classes of the ontology.
Example: #Product hasType #ProductType (Software, Hardware, ...)
=> This possibility depends on the need (or not) to manage particular relationships between these concepts.
A proposal for a "generic" Intentional Model (for ecosystem mapping)