Ian's Emacs Configuration
Thanks for dropping by!
This is my personal Emacs configuration (on GNU Emacs 26.2). It's unopinionated and was created for general use in mind. I've documented, as detailed as possible, what each code snippet does in my
This Emacs config starts up super fast with an average init time of 0.7 to 1.1 seconds.
Back up your
~/.emacs.d/ first (if you have one):
mv ~/.emacs.d/ ~/.emacs.d.bak/
Git clone my configuration to your new
git clone https://github.com/ianpan870102/.emacs.d.git ~/.emacs.d/
I will constantly push new commits since a real Emacser is never completely satisfied with his/her setup.
How the config structure works
config.el, which is produced by org-babel and
config.org. This allows me to put most of my configuration in an Org file with literate programming style (good for documenting code usage!).
If you prefer the use-package approach, I have the same set up here: https://github.com/ianpan870102/My-dot-files/blob/master/.emacs.d/init.el
Packages that I use:
Vim Editing habits (Optional depending on your preferences)
Better Emacs defaults
- company (autocompletion)
- dashboard (welcome screen)
- org (use most recent version instead of the built-in one)
Lightweight syntax highlight improvement for all languages
Appendix I: Themes I adore
- Spacemacs Dark & Light: https://github.com/nashamri/spacemacs-theme
- Gruvbox Dark: https://github.com/Greduan/emacs-theme-gruvbox
- Nord: https://github.com/arcticicestudio/nord-emacs
- Solarized Dark: https://github.com/bbatsov/solarized-emacs
- GitHub Default Theme: https://github.com/philiparvidsson/GitHub-Modern-Theme-for-Emacs
- Emacs Reverse Video Theme (emacs -r): https://github.com/syohex/emacs-reverse-theme
- Monochrome: https://github.com/fxn/monochrome-theme.el
- Monokai Pro (not the original Monokai): https://github.com/belak/emacs-monokai-pro-theme
The default installation of my Emacs configuration is shipped with the Wilmersdorf theme I made myself. It is inspired by Monochrome, Spacemacs Dark, Ariake Dark, and Raiju. You can find more information on the theme here: https://github.com/ianpan870102/Emacs-Wilmersdorf-Theme
Appendix II: Fonts I adore
- Monaco (curvy, easy to read)
- Input Mono (most compliment; customizable, modern-looking and geeky)
- Source Code Pro (playful and modern-looking)
- Hack / Menlo / DejaVu Sans Mono family (default on lots of systems)
- Andale Mono (tall, narrow, elegant characters)
1. Why does my font look wrong?
- You might not have the required fonts installed, feel free to install them or change the font settings to your own liking in
2. How can I install my own packages that I want?
You should be able to install packages the normal way (
M-x list-packages RET and
i x on the desired package row). If you plan to sync your config files across machines and wish to be prompted for installation if the required packages are missing, you can add the package's name to
3. How can I remove packages that I don't need?
For this you need two steps:
- First, type
M-x list-packages RETin Emacs bindings (or
:list-packages RETin Evil Normal state) and delete the unwanted package by placing your cursor on the row and press
dfollowed by an
- Next, in the
init.elfile, you'll want to remove the package's name from the
package-select-packageslist to disable the installing prompt when you start Emacs next time.