Sharing the World's Free Knowledge
Internet-in-a-Box (IIAB) is a "learning hotspot" that brings the Internet's crown jewels (Wikipedia in any language, thousands of Khan Academy videos, zoomable OpenStreetMap, electronic books, WordPress journaling, Toys from Trash electronics projects, ETC) to those without Internet.
You can build your own tiny, affordable server (an offline digital library) for your school, your medical clinic, your prison, your region and/or your very own family — accessible with any nearby smartphone, tablet or laptop.
Internet-in-a-Box gives you the DIY tools to:
- Download then drag-and-drop to arrange the very best of the World’s Free Knowledge.
- Choose among 30 powerful educational apps for your school or learning/teaching community, optionally with a complete LMS (learning management system).
- Exchange local/indigenous knowledge with nearby communities, using our Manage Content interface and possible mesh networking.
FYI this community product is enabled by professional volunteers working side-by-side with schools, clinics and libraries around the world. Thank you for being a part of our http://OFF.NETWORK grassroots technology movement!
Install Internet-in-a-Box (IIAB) from download.iiab.io
Please see FAQ.IIAB.IO which has 40+ questions and answers to help you along the way, as you put together the "local learning hotspot" most suitable for your own teaching/learning community. Here are 2 ways to install IIAB:
- Our 1-line installer gets you the very latest, typically within about an hour, on different Linux distributions.
- Prefab disk images (.img files) are sometimes a few months out of date, but can be flashed directly onto a microSD card, for insertion into Raspberry Pi.
Our HOW-TO videos can be very helpful and the Installation wiki page has more intricate details e.g. if you're trying to install Internet-in-a-Box (IIAB) onto a another Linux that has not yet been tried.
See our Tech Docs Wiki for more about the underlying nuts and bolts.
After you've installed the software, you should add content, which can of course take time when downloading multi-gigabyte Content Packs!
Finally, you can customize your Internet-in-a-Box home page (typically http://box or http://box.lan) using our drag-and-drop Admin Console (http://box.lan/admin) — to arrange Content Packs and IIAB Apps (services) for your local community's needs.
Internet-in-a-Box (IIAB) greatly welcomes contributions from educators, librarians and IT/UX/QA people of all kinds!
To learn more about our open community architecture for "offline" education, start by reviewing "What technical documentation exists?"
Thank you for helping us enable offline access to the Internet's free/open knowledge jewels, as well as "Sneakernet-of-Alexandria" distribution of local/indigenous content, when mass media channels do not serve grassroots voices.
Pre-releases of Internet-in-a-Box (IIAB) undergo continuous QA / continuous deployment and are strongly recommended.
Install our latest pre-release using the 1-line installer at: download.iiab.io
You can also consider the official releases at: github.com/iiab/iiab/releases