Explorer 7 Fixes
In Windows 7, Microsoft changed some things seemingly for the sake of change. This project's goal is to fix some of these "problems" with Windows 7.
Currently, this project includes only one fix:
No "Sort-Header" in Explorer
In Vista, Microsoft made the sort-header visible in all view modes (not only the Details view-mode, where it has always been present). They removed this in Windows 7, and didn't leave a setting or registry key to bring it back.
For background on this problem, see:
To install, simply run regsvr32.exe on the DLL appropriate for your installation (either the 32- or 64-bit version). e.g., one of:
- regsvr32 Release\Explorer7Fixes.dll
- regsvr32 x64\Release\Explorer7Fixes.dll
There is a batch file (install.bat) that largely automates this process.
To uninstall, simply run regsvr32.exe /u on the DLL you previously registered. e.g., one of:
- regsvr32 /u Release\Explorer7Fixes.dll
- regsvr32 /u x64\Release\Explorer7Fixes.dll
There is a batch file (uninstall.bat) that largely automates this process.
Upgrading from a Previous Version
- First uninstall the old version, following the process above.
- Because any running copies of Explorer will still have the DLL locked, you should then log out and log back on.
- Finally, install the new version.
- v220.127.116.11 - Fixed an issue (#2) where BHO was being listed as an addon in IE.
- v18.104.22.168 - Fixed an issue (#1) where folder icon-size was being reset.
- v22.214.171.124 - First public release.
- I would like to thank the QTTabBar folks for discovering a mechanism to turn the sort-header back on.
- I would also like to thank the ClassicShell project for their source-code, which served as the base for this project. It has now been so heavily modified that it no longer much resembles ClassicShell, but without that example/base from which to start, it would have taken me much longer to get a working Browser-Helper Object (BHO) working.
Explorer7Fixes is released under the MIT License:
Copyright (c) 2010 Ian Prest
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.