A free image resizing service and CDN.
This started out out of a repeated frustration that optimising images between multiple projects was a constantly moving target, requiring large amounts of boilerplate. Image libraries existed but went about solving the same problems in different ways to varying degress of success.
This is completely open-source under the ISC license, so all contributions are welcomed. You are free to run this yourself however you wish: Historically this has been deployed either via Docker (AWS ECS/Kubernetes) or directly via Node.
The public instance of this service is available here: https://imagecdn.app/
- HTTP Request comes in, specifying image source.
- Image Source is streamed.
- Format determined by QueryString parameter, falling back to Accept header.
- Image is streamed to libvips orchestration layer for conversion and manipulation.
- Image is run through image optimisation pipeline.
- Image served with a Vary on Accept and Accept-Encoding.
$ brew install libimagequant
$ sudo apt-get install libimagequant-dev