This spec is an attempt to push for a stable replacement of Ruby 1.8.x with 1.9.2+ on RHEL based systems. I have based it off of the work of FrameOS specs for Ruby 1.9.2 and Ruby Enterprise Edition.
yum install -y rpm-build rpmdevtools readline-devel ncurses-devel gdbm-devel tcl-devel openssl-devel db4-devel byacc rpmdev-setuptree cd ~/rpmbuild/SOURCES wget http://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/1.9/ruby-1.9.2-p320.tar.gz cd ~/rpmbuild/SPECS wget https://raw.github.com/imeyer/ruby-1.9.2-rpm/master/ruby19.spec rpmbuild -bb ruby19.spec rpm -Uvh ~/rpmbuild/RPMS/x86_64/ruby-1.9.2p320-1.ruby-1.9.2p320-1.i386.rpm
- Overwrites/upgrades your currently installed ruby package (DANGEROUS)
- Split packages into ruby-libs, ruby-devel, etc (looking for help here)
- Install alongside Ruby 1.8.x
- EPEL Yum repository (for rpmdev-setuptree)
Tested working (as sane as I could test for) on:
- RHEL 5.x x86_64
- RHEL 6.x x86_64
- RHEL 6.x i686
- CentOS 5.x x86_64
- Scientific Linux 6.x x86_64
This is by no means, correct, or sane. Nor does it follow any sort of policy for packaging. I leave that to the people who are most familiar with such things, and will willingly accept patches that add those features.