Pre-work - Tippy
Tippy is a tip calculator application for iOS.
Submitted by: Jay Ching Lim
Time spent: (approx) 8 hours spent in total
The following required functionality is complete:
- User can enter a bill amount, choose a tip percentage, and see the tip and total values.
- Settings page to change the default tip percentage.
The following optional features are implemented:
- UI animations
- Remembering the bill amount across app restarts (if <10mins)
- Using locale-specific currency and currency thousands separators.
- Making sure the keyboard is always visible and the bill amount is always the first responder. This way the user doesn't have to tap anywhere to use this app. Just launch the app and start typing.
The following additional features are implemented:
- The app logo is displayed on the splash screen whenever the app is started
- An option for users to round the tip amount to the nearest dollar (
- 10% tip option
- Users could select the number of people (up to a maximum of 5) to split the bill with
Here's a walkthrough of implemented user stories:
GIF created with LiceCap.
Describe any challenges encountered while building the app.
Migrated everything to Swift 3.0. Started off with an older version of xCode, but after updating it, there were a lot of compilation errors.
Splash Screen: Tried to implement a custom splash screen with animation, but that didn't work. As a result, I resorted to using an image on LaunchScreen.storyboard.
Copyright 2016 Jay Ching Lim Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0 Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.