Font Testing Page
Stable releases available for use at http://www.impallari.com/testing
The Font Testing Page is a tool primarily intended for type designers to 'Drag and Drop' and quickly test their fonts into a browser. It can also be used by Type and Art Directors, Graphic Designers, Teachers and Students interested in seeing how a typeface works on the web.
There is a short video demonstrating this tool, http://vimeo.com/40296571
Operation is simple:
- Drag the font you want to try to the upper area of the Testing Page
- Add more fonts and you'll see their file names and file sizes as buttons
Below the drop area you see some buttons to select different layouts:
- Headlines: Displays examples: 72, 60, 48, 36 and 30 to 12.
- Text: Displays text blocks, from 20 to 10.
- Adhesion: Shows examples using only 'adhesion' text. Intended for the early stages on a typeface design.
- Hamburgefonstiv Examples using 'Hamburgefonstiv' text.
- Lowercase only: Displays examples of 72, 60, 48, 36, 30, 24, 18 and 16 to 10.
- Caps: Displays examples of words in Sentence Case at 60.
- All Caps: Displays examples of words in All-Caps at 60.
- Layout: Displays examples of Headline, Subhead and Body text.
- Kern: Displays examples of combinations of letters and miscellaneous signs.
- Latin: Diacritics for 103 Latin languages, pangrams and text samples.
- And many many more...
- Requires Firefox or Chrome
- 100% safe: Your fonts are only stored in your own browser (using
localStorage) and nothing gets uploaded to any server
Secret tips for the "Filter text" tool:
- When working on text fonts: Set the size to 18px or lower, and you will get nice blocks at all text sizes at the same time.
- When working on display fonts: Set the size to 200 and you get a small cascade, set it to 300px and you get a full cascade (Great for deciding on your font's spacing/fitting).
To download the latest version and use it locally:
git clone https://github.com/impallari/Font-Testing-Page.git; cd Font-Testing-Page; php -S 127.0.0.1:8080
Then visit http://127.0.0.1:8080 to see your local version of the tool.
- Inspired by Jonathan Kew's OpenType Playground made for Mozilla and FontDrag
- Initiated by Dave Crossland
- Developed by Pablo Impallari
- Designed by Pablo Cosgaya
- Kerning string by James Montalbano
- Kern King Tab content from http://logofontandlettering.com/kernking.html
- Pangrams from Wikipedia
- Armenian Pangrams by Hrant Papazian
- Latin Languages texts by Eduardo Tunni
- Latin02 Diacritics tabs from Context of Diacritics
- Cyrillic Version by Alexei Vanyashin
- Most Devanagari content by Girish Dalvi, Ek Type and Pooja Saxena
- Devanagari Dictionary words from http://sanskritdocuments.org/hindi/dict/eng-hin_unic.html (Thanks to Andres Torresi and Juan Pablo del Peral)
- Tamil Version by Tharique Azeez, text are from Niram blog
- Kannada Version by Erin McLaughlin, sample texts from Miguel Sousa's AdhesionText Kannada, and Kannada Prahba newspaper
- Telugu Version by Appaji Ambarisha Darbha
- Hebrew Version by Meir Sadan
- Malayan Version by Santhosh Thottingal
- And many more people that helped in one way or another (If I've forgotten to include your name, just let me know and I will add it).
Code is available under the MIT License, see LICENSE.md for full details
Page text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike v3.0 License