System administration tools
A bunch of the tools found here are open source tools written by other authors.
Following categorizations are valid given these tools (which is in itself work-in-progress)
- Shell scripts
- Perl scripts
- dtrace scripts
The dtrace scripts are embellishments of concepts and code snippets from Brendan Gregg's excellent book on DTrace.
Following scripts are most important -
- iosltop (which displays IO rate, throughput and latency at a 5-second interval, in a top-like manner)
- biowait (which displays top blocked iowait consumers)
- connect.d (which displays top 'n' tcp latencies)
- hpstckgrowth.d (which displays top 10 heap and stack memory hogs)
- kmem_track.d (which tracks top 50 kernel memory cache hogs)