Clone this wiki locally
Logcat is an Android troubleshooting tool that records a detailed log of everything that happens on your phone until you tell it to stop. If you're experiencing a problem, Logcat can help developers figure out the cause.
If you don't understand what these terms mean, look them up in the Total Newbie's Dictionary.
- You must be rooted.
- You must have a terminal emulator installed.
All IHO ROMs fulfill these requirements.
1. Launch your terminal emulator. If you don't see the virtual keyboard, press Menu and tap Toggle soft keyboard.
2. Enter these commands:
- su (press "allow" if asked whether you want to give your terminal emulator root privileges)
- logcat > /sdcard/logfile.txt
Logcat will save its log as logfile.txt in your SD card.
3. Let Logcat run in the background and do whatever triggers the bug you're experiencing. If it's a continuous problem, let Logcat run for a few minutes.
4. To turn off Logcat, go back to Terminal Emulator, hold Volume Down and tap C on the virtual keyboard.
Distributing your Logcat log
IHO developers like to send logs using Pastebin.com to avoid the hassle of sifting through emails.
1. Transfer logfile.txt to your computer. Open it and copy its text.
2. Go to http://www.pastebin.com.
3. Paste your log in the text field under New Paste and click Submit.
4. Send the address in your browser's address bar to the developers. Pastebin saves your "paste" with its own unique URL.