My name is Karim Ratib. I consider myself a software "craftsman", combining professional programmer, architect, tinkerer, learner, speculator, etc.
I'm also a lifelong music fan, learner and player. This will often show up in my repos.
I'm currently available for hire as a software consultant. I do well with the following:
- Designing systems, from proof of concepts to production deployments
- Leading and growing small, remote development teams using simple processes and tools - I care about the developer's experience
- Deep-diving into conceptual problems and learning to apply the state of the art to produce innovative solutions
- Analyzing designs and implementations from a software engineering point of view: consistency, maintainability, scalability, etc.
- Using open source Web technologies on the backend and frontend
I am best motivated when applying these skills to domains that interest me:
- Music and multimedia technologies
- Social development and civic engagement
- Education, arts and culture
Contact me via email if you are interested - looking forward to hear from you!
Until recently, and for 9+ years, I led a fantastic team of programmers at a great, small organization called Meedan. We worked on collaborative annotation systems for social media, notably applied to fact-checking. We open sourced all our code.
Before Meedan, I used to offer my services as a Drupal programmer. It was fun for many years.
I used to maintain a blog called "Confessions of an information junkie". Be indulgent, I was young