Simple browser extension that adds keyboard shortcuts to Google search™. Google search™ used to provide experimental keyboard navigation, but it was often broken, and seems to have been removed as of 2017-07-31. In addition, I wanted to add new keyboard shortcuts and the existing ones to be more vim like (j/k for navigation).
Install from the Chrome Web Store.
See below for downloading a release and installing it manually (not recommended since you won't get updates automatically).
Installing from a release
- Download the latest release from https://github.com/infokiller/web-search-navigator/releases
- Extract the zip file to any directory you'd like, though you need to make sure the directory is not deleted while you want to use the extension
- Go to extensions page in Chrome (URL:
- Enable developer mode if needed
- Disable other existing instances of Google Search Navigator (from the store or from loading another unpacked version)
- Click "Load Unpacked" and select the directory you extracted the release zip into
Install from the Add-ons for Firefox.
Install from the Microsoft Store.
Note: All shortcuts can be customized to your liking via options.
j: Select next search result
k: Select previous previous result
Escape: Focus on input search box
Space: Navigate to selected result
Ctrl+Space: Open selected result in background tab
Ctrl+Shift+Space: Open selected result in new window/tab
h: Navigate to previous search result page
l: Navigate to next search result page
s: Navigate to All tab (= default search tab)
i: Navigate to images tab
v: Navigate to videos tab
m: Navigate to maps tab
n: Navigate to news tab
alt+s: Navigate to shopping tab
b: Navigate to books tab
alt+l: Navigate to flights tab
f: Navigate to financial tab
Ctrl+Shift+h: Filter results by past hour
Ctrl+Shift+d: Filter results by past 24 hours (day)
Ctrl+Shift+w: Filter results by past week
Ctrl+Shift+m: Filter results by past month
Ctrl+Shift+y: Filter results by past year
Ctrl+Shift+a: Turn off filter (show all results)
Ctrl+Shift+s: Toggle sort by date/relevance (only when filtering)
yarn install && yarn build
The extension will be deployed directly to the
src directory. You can load this directory as an unpacked extensions to
It would be better to deploy for example to
build/deploy and add
gulp-watch to update the deployed files
automatically. However when done so the browser's (Chrome) auto-reload extension gets broken and one has to reload the
extension manually on every change. Hence the
src directory is used for the convenience.
To deploy the production sources use:
yarn build --production
The automated build scripts are currently not implemented so manual process is required afterward.
- Add option for navigating "Top stories"
- Remove Keymaster dependency and add functions for validation user provided Keybindings
This project is not affiliated with Google LLC.
©2018 Google LLC All rights reserved. Google™ search is a trademark of Google LLC.