Checklist for when putting a Wordpress site live
- A list of stuff to do when setting a WordPress site live.
- Avoid putting a site live on a Friday.
Before going live
- Check all links, main navigation, sub navigation and mobile navigation.
- Make a backup of all files. It is always good to have all the files backed up somewhere in the same condition as when the site goes live.
- Delete unnecessary users and set correct users role. Avoid unnecessary admin accounts.
- Check if favicon is there and apple-touch-icons as well and displaying correctly.
- Install a SEO Plugin. WordPress SEO
- Check if
titletag is displaying friendly titles.
After going live
- Check all links, again.
- Check if system administrator will be doing a scheduled backup of files and database. If not set up a a backup plan. Updraft Plus is quite a quite good free plugin.
- Install a caching plugin. WP Super Cache is fast and easy to set up.
- Disallow Dashboard editor for security reasons. Place
define( 'DISALLOW_FILE_EDIT', true )in the
- Install a security plugin. Wordfence is a quite good free plugin.