Kill it dead
Checkout a working demo at http://play.insaindesign.com/killie/.
To kill Internet Explorer < 8... though it would be nice to kill IE 8 too.
- Change the killie.css to suit your needs
- Minify and Upload killie.css to your webspace
- In killie.js change the css path to the above location (2).
- Minify and Upload killie.js to your webspace
- In your html (either in the <head> of the document or, for better performance, before the </body> tag) use one of the following (depending what version of ie you're after):
<!--[if IE lte 6]><script src="path/to/killie.js"></script><![endif]-->
<!--[if IE lte 7]><script src="path/to/killie.js"></script><![endif]-->
In the first few lines of killie.js there are a few variables you can change which modifies the message and the browsers offered, as well as the path to your css. Feel free to change these to suit your needs and language requirements.