Docker and VAST Platform (VA Smalltalk) Examples
Running VA Smalltalk on Docker containers!
Report a defect | Request feature
This project serves as a public place where VA Smalltalk users can see and submit Docker examples. Ideally we would like to have many examples showing different operating systems, CPU architectures, alternatives and customizations.
- The code is licensed under MIT.
- The documentation is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Dockerin the machine you want to run the containers
- Clone this repository
- Pick of the provided examples.
- Run the Docker
runcommands that can be found in each
- Read blog posts:
- Watch presentations and videos:
Experiments already run
docker-composeand allow having N number of replicas (our VAST images) running in the same node with a load balancer on front.
Docker Swarmto create our own cloud and run N number of VAST images distributes in M number of nodes.
- Run Docker in ARM 32 bits (Raspberry Pi 3B+ and Raspbian) and ARM 64 bits (Raspberry Pi 3B+ / Rock64 with Ubuntu Server / Armbian).
- Take a look to portainer.io container for graphical management.
- Experiment with Alpine Linux. Results were not as good as expected because Alpine uses
glibc. If you install
glibcthen the docker image gets much bigger and quite similar to a
debian slim. In addition, it's
glibcdoes not seem to work correctly on ARM.
There are lots of areas of interest we would like to investigate and research. But a few possibilities are:
- Make VA run with more different operating systems:
- A regular CentOS/RedHat/Fedora variant.
- Fedora Atomic
- Try with balenaOS as a host OS and a pigpio-ready image.
- Test our VAST GPIO binding from within a container.
- Even if not exactly related to Docker, we would also like to adapt current examples for Kubernetes and OpenShift.
- Norbert Schlemmer for the work on getting the examples to work in Raspberry.
- Julian Maestri for the initial Dockerfile examples for VA Smalltalk and general help.
- Github repository layout was generated with Ba-St Github-setup project.
Check the Contribution Guidelines