**No longer supported. iocage is being rewritten in a different language. To fetch 10.3-RELEASE or above, supply the release to iocage:
iocage fetch release=10.3-RELEASE
This will skip the interactive dialog and proceed.
A FreeBSD jail manager.
iocage is a zero dependency, drop in jail/container manager amalgamating some of the best features and technologies the FreeBSD operating system has to offer. It is geared for ease of use with a simple and easy to understand command syntax.
iocage is in the FreeBSD ports tree as sysutils/iocage.
To install using binary packages, simply run:
pkg install iocage
develop branch may not be functional at any given point. This is where a lot of experimental work gets done. No guarantees for stability or migrations within the branch are given. Things can and do change rapidly. Please don't use it if you require stability.
- Mailing list: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/iocage
- Contributing: If you would like to submit a pull request, we kindly ask you to open it against the
Raising an issue:
We like issues! If you are having trouble with
iocage please open a GitHub issue and we will
run around with our hair on fire look into it. Before doing so, please give us some information about the situation:
- Tell us what version of FreeBSD you are using with something like
- It would also be helpful if you gave us the output of
- Most importantly, try to be detailed. Simply stating "I tried consoling into a jail and it broke" will not help us very much. However, saying something like this helps much, much more:
"I tried to console into a template jail, but it failed with this error in which I pasted below:"
gasgiant ~ # iocage list -t JID UUID BOOT STATE TAG TYPE - XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-a5be-3417ebb13845 off down pepperd template gasgiant ~ # iocage console salted cannot open 'zroot/iocage/jails/XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-a5be-3417ebb13845': dataset does not exist cannot open 'zroot/iocage/jails/XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-a5be-3417ebb13845': dataset does not exist [: -ne: unexpected operator ERROR: jail: pepperd is not running!
- Use the Markdown Basics GitHub page for more information on how to paste lines of code and terminal output.
- Templates, clones, basejails, fully independent jails
- Ease of use
- Zero configuration files
- Rapid thin provisioning within seconds
- Automatic package installation
- Virtual networking stacks (vnet)
- Shared IP based jails (non vnet)
- Resource limits (CPU, MEMORY, etc.)
- Filesystem quotas and reservations
- Dedicated ZFS datasets inside jails
- Transparent ZFS snapshot management
- Binary updates
- Differential jail packaging
- Export and import
- And many more!
Fetch a release:
Create a jail:
iocage create tag=myjail ip4_addr="em0|192.168.1.10/24"
Start the jail:
iocage start myjail
iocage activate ZPOOL iocage cap UUID|TAG iocage chroot UUID|TAG [command] iocage clean [-a|-r|-j] iocage clone UUID|TAG [UUID|TAG@snapshot] [property=value] iocage console UUID|TAG iocage create [-b|-c|-e] [release=RELEASE] [pkglist=file] [property=value] iocage deactivate ZPOOL iocage defaults iocage destroy [-f] UUID|TAG iocage df iocage exec [-u username | -U username] UUID|TAG|ALL command [arg ...] iocage export UUID|TAG iocage fetch [release=RELEASE | ftphost=ftp.hostname.org | ftpdir=/dir/ | ftpfiles="base.txz doc.txz lib32.txz src.txz"] iocage get property|all UUID|TAG iocage help iocage import UUID [property=value] iocage init-host IP ZPOOL iocage inuse UUID|TAG iocage limits [UUID|TAG] iocage list [-b|-t|-r] iocage package UUID|TAG iocage promote UUID|TAG iocage rcboot iocage reboot UUID|TAG iocage rcshutdown iocage record start|stop UUID|TAG iocage reset UUID|TAG|ALL iocage restart UUID|TAG iocage rollback UUID|TAG@snapshotname iocage runtime UUID|TAG iocage set property=value UUID|TAG iocage show property iocage snaplist UUID|TAG iocage snapremove UUID|TAG@snapshotname|ALL iocage snapshot UUID|TAG [UUID|TAG@snapshotname] iocage start UUID|TAG iocage stop UUID|TAG iocage uncap UUID|TAG iocage update UUID|TAG iocage upgrade UUID|TAG [release=RELEASE] iocage version | --version
- FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE amd64 or newer
- ZFS file system
Optional - Kernel compiled with:
# This is optional and only needed if you need VNET and resource # limits options VIMAGE # VNET/Vimage support options RACCT # Resource containers options RCTL # same as above
- For resource limiting please read rctl(8)
- For the explanations on jail properties read jail(8)
- Create bridge0 and bridge1 interfaces
- Use iocage set/get to modify properties
- To understand what most properties do read iocage(8).
If using VNET consider adding the following to
/etc/sysctl.confon the host:
net.inet.ip.forwarding=1 # Enable IP forwarding between interfaces net.link.bridge.pfil_onlyip=0 # Only pass IP packets when pfil is enabled net.link.bridge.pfil_bridge=0 # Packet filter on the bridge interface net.link.bridge.pfil_member=0 # Packet filter on the member interface