Useful resources for using IPFS and building things on top of it
This list is for projects, tools, or pretty much any things related to IPFS that are totally awesome. This is for products which are already awesome - if you have plans for cool stuff to do with IPFS, you should build it, and then link it here. If you have an idea for an awesome thing to do with IPFS, a good place to ask about it might be in ipfs/apps or ipfs/notes.
Table of Contents
Contribute to this list!
Everyone is welcome to submit their new awesome-ipfs item. In order to add an element to this list, you need to modify the files in
/data and then run a simple
make build before publishing your pull request as the Readme and the website are automatically generated. Check the CONTRIBUTING.md guidelines to learn how to do so.
NOTE: If you want to edit the README file directly (not the items/links) you need to modify the README template instead and run
make build again. Thank you!
- 2read - Convert article in current tab to readable form and upload it to writable node(s). Source
- 3Box - Create and manage your Ethereum Profile, and your personal data. Use the 3box-js library to integrate profiles into your dapp. Source
- a js video player - Demo
- a markdown renderer - Demo
- a qr-code renderer - Demo
- akasha - A Next-Generation Social Media Network, powered by Ethereum and embedded into IPFS.
- Alexandria - Decentralized content publishing / monetization platform.
- Arbore - A friend-to-friend file-sharing app build on top of IPFS.
- Arpadyne - The New Internet - DNS powered by OrbitDB. Content delivered via IPFS.
- Autonomica "IPFS Social Proof" - Autonomica is a Keybase-like Dapp for creating an identity and proving this identity via published social media and web proofs.
- beets - Beets has a plugin which allows for easy sharing of music libraries using IPFS
- Blokaly - A badge issuing, sharing and display platform based on IPFS.
- Boards - Distributed social platform that runs in the browser. Source
- brig - File synchronization with git like interface and FUSE filesystem. Source
- Cohort - A golang app to preset a threejs interface and get all of its assets out of IPFS.
- Computes - Computes.io is a distributed supercomputer powered by IPFS.
- dapple - Dapple is a Solidity developer multitool designed to manage the growing complexity of interconnected smart contract systems.
- digx - Digix is an asset-tokenisation platform built on Ethereum and IPFS.
- dtube - Distributed video sharing with steem.it intergrations, using ipfs for backend storage.
- enzypt.io - A website to buy and sell files through Ethereum and IPFS. Source
- Ethlance - First completely decentralised job market platform built on Ethereum and IPFS. Source
- FileNation - The simplest way to send your files around the world using IPFS.
- git-ipfs-rehost - A script to rehost your git repos in ipfs.
- Global Upload - File transportation service for IPFS, upload files to the future of distributed web.
- gogo.tattoo - Gogo Tattoo Project uses IPFS, DLTs and other modern technologies to offer tattoo artists and wearers an unbreakable lifetime record of their portfolios. gogo.tattoo app already has a feature to share works directly to IPFS.
- Gorilla REPL viewer - Gorilla is a rich REPL for Clojure in the notebook style. Demo
- Hardbin - Hardbin is an encrypted pastebin, with the decryption key passed in the URL fragment
- hasteIPFS - IPFS based code bin. (Read only for now)
- HydrusNetwork - A booru-style media tagging application with a multitude of features, recently added basic ipfs support.
- infura.io - A Infrastructure: use API and developer tools provide secure, reliable, and scalable access toEthereum and IPFS to help build decentralized application easier.
- InterPlanetary Wayback - Web Archive (WARC) indexing and replay using IPFS.
- Interplanetary Wiki - Wiki built on top of IPFS
- IPFessay - A simple way to publish uncensorable essays on IPFS.
- IPFS Desktop - Run your IPFS node on your machine without having to bother with command line tools. Manage your node, add your files, easily change the settings... everything from just one interface.
- IPFS Drive - In browser file manager for IPFS. Source
- IPFS Event Drop - An app that allows for improved visualization of ipfs events.
- IPFS ID and Public Key QR Codes Demo - A demo app that uses windows.ipfs to show you a QR Code of your IPNS Link and of your Public Key. Source
- ipfs-md-wiki - Build your wiki system base on ipfs and markdown.
- ipfs-search - Search engine for files and directories on IPFS.
- ipfs-share - Pastebin/Image host/File sharing application
- ipfs.ink - Publish and render markdown essays to and from ipfs. Source
- ipfs.pics - Upload and share pics.
- IPFSBin - Pastebin clone build.
- IPFSStore - Pinning paid with Steem
- killcord - A censorship resistant deadman's switch Source
- markup.rocks - Pandoc-based markup editor/previewer/converter, ported to IPFS. Source
- NodeFort.io - Web-based IPFS node hosting service.
- OpenBazaar - This new version(v2.0) is built on IPFS, Openbazaar stores can now be accessible to buyers even when they are offline.
- Orbit - Distributed, peer-to-peer chat application on IPFS. Source
- Origin Protocol - Distributed sharing economy marketplace with images, metadata, and ERC 725 data stored on IPFS. Source
- Partyshare - A simple file sharing app.
- Pathephone - Distributed music streaming app.
- Peer Bandwidth Demo - An demo app that uses window.ipfs, provided by the IPFS Companion web extension to get and graph bandwidth info for your IPFS node Source
- Peer Map Demo - A map of IPv4 IPFS peers that uses window.ipfs Source
- Philes - A simple browser-based IPFS notepad app. Source
- Pinata - Build and manage your dapp through Pinata’s REST API and IPFS toolkit.
- Playback - IPFS playback support. This allows casting a video in IPFS to a Chromecast.
- PubSub Chat Demo - A ~76KB demo chat app that uses window.ipfs, provided by the IPFS Companion web extension Source
- PushToTalk - Push to Talk lets you edit audio essays and publish them with IPFS.
- qri - Dataset verion control, discovery and collaboration tools (free, open-source). Source
- Request Network - Decentralized network for financial transactions. Source
- TallyLab - Local-first, end-to-end encrypted diary app for capturing, analyzing, and sharing data about any and everything.
- Temporal - Temporal is an easy to use API and platform for integrating IPFS and other distributed/decentralized storage technologies into enterprise applications
- Textile Photos - Textile Photos is a secure, mobile digital wallet for your photos. Source
- ToDo List Demo - A ToDo List demo app that uses windows.ipfs. Source
- ujo - A blockchain marketplace for musicians.
- uport - Uport is a mobile, self-sovereign identity and key management system, built on the Ethereum blockchain.
- xfce-screenshooter-ipfs-support - A fork of xfce-screenshooter with IPFS support!
- 2018-08-06: Content Identifiers in IPFS
- 2018-07-11: On future-proof cryptographic hashes
- 2017-08-21: Understanding the IPFS White Paper part 2
- 2017-08-10: Understanding the IPFS White Paper part 1
- 2017-06-13: Decentralized & Distributed Edge Computing Comes to Computes.io
- Downloading nodejs versions with nvm/n over IPFS
- 2017-05-05: Decentralized indexes for public genomic data
- 2017-03-31: Using IPFS for IoT Communications
- 2016-09-12: IPFS: The Internet Democratised
- 2016-05-20: Changelog Podcast
- 2015-11-01: Eris + IPFS
- 2015-09-18: The InterPlanetary File System Wants to Create a Permanent Web
- 2015-09-13: Introduction to IPFS
- 2015-09-10: First Steps Toward Implementing Distributed Permanent Web With IPFS
- 2015-09-08: HTTP is obsolete. It's time for the distributed, permanent web
- haveibeenpwnd.com passwords Source
- IETF RFC Archive Source
- MDSConnect Source
- Old Internet Files Source
- Presidental Daily Briefs Source
- World Wide Web History Project Source
- XKCD Source
- yarchive.net Source
- Blockwatch - Monitor the current block number of the Ethereum blockchain, and set alerts (stored locally using PouchDB in your browser) for when certain block heights are passed. Source
- cachewarmer - Donate ipfs gateways to cache other people's content
- dillo-ipfs - IPFS integration for the Dillo web browser. Source
- gatsby-plugin-ipfs - Adds support for deploying Gatsby websites to IPFS by ensuring that assets are relative.
- git-remote-ipfs - push/pull repositories from/to IPFS
- http2ipfs - This is a simple webtool to add URLs to an IPFS node.
- ipcat -
🐈Retrieve IPFS object data and send it to stdout.
- ipfs-add-from-encrypted - Encrypt a file or directory with AES256 then add to IPFS
- ipfs-add-from-url - Add a file to IPFS from a URL instead of a file path
- ipfs-chrome-extension - Chrome extension to redirect ipfs.io traffic to local gateway
- ipfs-chrome-station - Chrome extension to redirect ipfs.io traffic to local gateway
- ipfs-common - some common tools, 1.CID to human readable cid, 2.cid and block name convert, 3. read the leveldb tools. Source
- ipfs-companion - Browser extension that simplifies access to IPFS resources.
- ipfs-gui - Windows UI integration and IPFS installer
- ipfs-linux-service - IPFS Linux Init Daemon
- ipfs-mount - Mount IPFS as a mapped drive on Windows
- ipfs-paste - Paste stdin and clipboard to IPFS
- ipfs-screencap - Capture screenshots, publish them to IPFS, and copy the link to the clipboard.
- ipfscrape - Scrape a webpage with all assets and put it in IPFS
- ipfsecret - Encrypt and decrypt IPFS files with a secret passphrase
- ipget -
📡wget for IPFS: retrieve files over IPFS and save them locally.
- IPLD Explorer - Explore the Merkle Forest from the comfort of your browser Source
- IPRedirect - Browser userscript for redirecting IPFS/IPNS addresses to your local gateway. This should work on any browser that hasn't had an extension written for it yet and has support for userscripts.
- ipscend - Tool for hosting web apps and static websites in IPFS
- pinbot - Pin content via IRC
- Siderus Orion - Easy to use IPFS desktop client for macOS, Windows and Linux Source
- Distributed Apps with IPFS - Juan Benet at Fullstack Fest 2016 - This talk breaks down how to build a dynamic app on top of IPFS with CRDTs, pub/sub, and slick UIs. It also delves into new models for distributed computation, and the ethical importance of distributing the web.
- IPFS Alpha - Why we must redistribute the web
- IPFS Simply Explained - Let's take a look at how IPFS works, how it can solve issue's like censorship and if it would really work across multiple planets!
- Juan Benet at Stanford 2015 - The talk includes a broad look at The IPFS Project, and a discussion on evolving the network stack through open source protocols R & D.
- Textile Build Series - A Free Online Workshop - A full Training Program to teach devs on how to build for the Decentralized Web. The series covers a ton of content, touch multiple parts of the IPFS stack and guides devs through building a simple DApp.