IPFS GUI Working Group Roadmap 2019
TODO: Descoping to focus on
📦 Package Managers as main 2019 Priority
Build intuitive and accessible user-interfaces for IPFS We want the IPFS apps to support the endeavours of all the working groups, so please add your comments and suggestions to this document.
- Fight complexity at every step.
- IPFS must be usable and comprehensible for everyone.
- Publish and promote this work. Make doing the right thing the easiest thing.
- Demonstrate the nature of the system with effortless, coherent, and compelling interfaces.
- IPFS GUI - Team coordination point
- IPFS Web UI - Graphical IPFS file manager and network explorer.
- IPFS Desktop - Launch and manage IPFS from your OS GUI.
- IPFS Companion - Give your browser IPFS super powers.
- IPFS CSS - Single-purpose css rules and font-face config to IPFS up your UI.
- IPFS UI Style Guide - The guide for for UI design in the IPFS universe.
- IPFS Share Files - Share Files via IPFS
🚀 Major 2019 Goals
- Co-hosting datasets, publishing to the dweb and sharing files via IPFS is intuitive for casual users. (Overlap with Community & Data Stewardship)
- Grow the community of users and contributors (reusable components, reliable, stable release velocity, proactive maintenance, seek input, contributions welcome)
- Bootstrap an IPFS Design team that leads the way on human-centered design for cryptography and decentralized apps. (See: design is the killer app for crypto)
🗂 Large files
M (P0)- Web UI File browser can render a view over a dir listing with 1 million entries (npm has 831,352 modules at time of writing)
M (P0)- WebUI can show information about a swarm of 100,000 peers without taxing the system or the daemon (requires streamable API for watching for change over time)
M (P0)- We have informative file transfer progress visualisations, that show the work being done by a community of peers, rather than a spinner or progress bar.
M (P1)- There is a Web UI for Cluster, tailored for the needs of large organisations.
M (P1)- There is a great IPFS app for local / small office / high trust file-sharing. (no auth / identity dependency) with customisable sharing pages for offering access to specific files
🔄 Decentralized Web
We share all our content via IPFS
M (P0)- There is an app for creating, editing, and hosting websites on IPFS
M (P1)- There is a mechanism for opt-in, anonymous, decentralised, usage analytics.
M (P1)- 1 million files are transferred via https://share.ipfs.io
The dweb web is personal and customizable
M (PX)- Peers can identify friends on the network with named nodes and avatars.
M (PX)- Our apps allow you to connect to specific peers and set up shared directories
M (PX)- Peers can set up ad-hoc reciprocal hosting with friends. (IPFS social graph / have your followers "sympathetically" rehost it automatically)
🧠 Strategic Projects
M (PX)- IPFS network metrics dashboard visualising public network swarm size over time and CID req/s throughput on from the gateways, number and health of co-operating public gateways.
M (PX)- Create apps to support decision making and collaboration between IPFS working groups as we grow.
M (PX)- Help build a community around design for cryptography and decentralization. Collaborate on the design challenges and establish and iterate on human-centered design guidelines.
M (PX)- Publish a guidebook of concepts and design patterns for decentralised apps.