iUPB is an extensible, open-source rails3 web-application for the University of Paderborn: www.i-upb.de. Students and staff use it to get current information about restaurants, busses, weather, they manage their courses and post ads to a pinboard.
- Install Ruby 1.9 and Bundler (we run 1.9.2 live)
- Install Mongodb
brew install mongodb
- Start mongodb
- Optional: install and start elasticsearch
brew install elasticsearch
- install our dependencies with
- startup iUPB with
- Navigate to
Fork our repository, change, test and then make a pull-request.
- Got an award from the university in late 2012 for the best student app
- Further received an award from Germany's CIO (www.cio.bund.de) for our open-source activities
- Was started by @dirkschumacher in 2010 and has been completely redesigned together with @MichaelWhi in early 2012
- Has more than 4,500 active Android installations (6,000+ downloads) and more than 6,000 iOS downloads
- We haven't spent a single euro on infrastructure so far. During the week we daily serve 3,000+ users by just using free plans of popular Heroku services (thanks @heroku!)