This tool migrates a GitHub repository to another. This is especially useful to move a repository from GitHub Enterprise to github.com.
export GITHUB_MIGRATOR_SOURCE_API_TOKEN=xxx export GITHUB_MIGRATOR_SOURCE_API_ENDPOINT=http://localhost/api/v3 # This might be the endpoint of GitHub Enterprise export GITHUB_MIGRATOR_TARGET_API_TOKEN=yyy # export GITHUB_MIGRATOR_TARGET_API_ENDPOINT=https://api.github.com # No need to specify the endpoint of github.com go run . [old-owner]/[source] [new-owner]/[target]
Be sure to use this tool before pushing the git tree to the new origin (otherwise the links in the merged commits are lost).
Sometimes same user has different user id on GitHub and Enterprise.
- Go 1.13+
- API tokens to access the source and target repositories.
- Issue description with the link to the original repository
- Issue comments with the user name and icon (within the comment)
- Created dates, Labels
- Issue numbers are same as the original repository
- Various events (including title changes, issue locking, assignments, review requests and branch deletion in a pull request)
- Pull requests
- A pull request is converted to an issue
- Comments and review comments are migrated as issue comments
- Created dates, Labels
- Pull request numbers (issue numbers) are same as the original repository
- Number of changed files, insertions and deletions
- Entire diff (excluding large file diffs)
- Commits list and link to the corresponding /compare/ page
- Repository information
- Description, Homepage (only when the target repository has blank description, homepage)
- Label name, description and colors
- Label changes in issue and pull request
- Projects, columns and cards
- Note that column automations are not migrated (cannot be set via API)
- Milestone titles, description and due date
- Connect issues to milestones
- Webhook URL, content type and events the hooks is trigger for.
- All the other things will be lost
- Images posted to issue and pull request comments.
- Emoji reactions to issue and pull request comments
- Diffs (split) view of pull requests
- Default branch, Protection rules
- Notifications, Integrations
Report bug at Issues・itchyny/github-migrator - GitHub.
This software is released under the MIT License, see LICENSE.
Previous works and references
- fastlane/monorepo: Scripts to migrate to a monorepo
- This tool greatly influenced me, especially for investigating the usage of the import api.
- aereal/migrate-gh-repo: migrate GitHub (incl. Enterprise) repositories with idempotent-like manner
- For the idea of keeping the issue and pull request numbers.
- Complete issue import API walkthrough with curl
- Comprehensive tutorial for using the import api (which is not listed in the official api document yet).