Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Chewing up too much CPU time and low throughput #2656

Closed
cyberduck opened this issue Oct 11, 2008 · 1 comment
Closed

Chewing up too much CPU time and low throughput #2656

cyberduck opened this issue Oct 11, 2008 · 1 comment

Comments

@cyberduck
Copy link
Collaborator

@cyberduck cyberduck commented Oct 11, 2008

b704f45 created the issue

Using Cyberduck 3.0.3 (4189), OS X 10.4.11, Java 1.5.0_16

FTP'ing a single large file to my Mac causes Cyberduck to chew 12 to 20% of my CPU, according to Activity Monitor. By comparison, the same file FTP'd with curl uses 0.7% for curl and 3% for Terminal, a total of 3.7%. The average throughput for Cyberduck is about 30 KB/sec. For curl, it's about 45 KB/sec.

When I start other FTP streams, Cyberduck's CPU usage goes up even more while the total throughput barely increases (this over 20 Mbps fiber service).

Now, granted, these CPU percentages are a bit high because my Power Mac is slow. But they are proportional on a faster Mac too. (300 MHz G3 vs 1.5 GHz G4). Cyberduck seems to be wastefully chewing cpu cycles instead of getting work done.

Please improve Cyberduck's efficiency and (more importantly) throughput.

Thanks!

@cyberduck
Copy link
Collaborator Author

@cyberduck cyberduck commented Oct 19, 2008

b704f45 commented

Just another data point... ftp'ing the same large file from a friend's server in Florida. I'm in New Jersey. The route between us looks to be very clean today.

curl - avg throughput is 612 Kbps.

Cyberduck ec81017 - avg is 540 Kbps.

This per the numbers reported by iStat Menus.

Loading

@cyberduck cyberduck closed this Nov 3, 2009
@iterate-ch iterate-ch locked as resolved and limited conversation to collaborators Nov 26, 2021
Sign up for free to subscribe to this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in.
Projects
None yet
Linked pull requests

Successfully merging a pull request may close this issue.

None yet
2 participants