Laptop is a script to set up a Mac OS X laptop for Rails development.
- Install a C compiler. The best thing to do is install X Code from the Mac App Store
IMPORTANT DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP
- Open up the X Code app and choose preferences from the XCode menu.
- Click on the downloads icon
- Make sure the Components section is selected
- Click on install button next to command line tools
If that doesn't work for some reason:
Use OS X GCC Installer for Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6).
Use Command Line Tools for XCode for Lion (OS X 10.7) or Mountain Lion (OS X 10.8).
Open up the Terminal app from /Applications/Utilities. Set zsh as your login shell by typing this command:
chsh -s /bin/zsh
Run the script: cut and paste this command into Terminal
zsh <(curl -s https://raw.github.com/ivanoats/laptop/master/mac)
What it sets up
Basically, a pro rails setup.
- Ack for finding things in files
- Bundler gem for managing Ruby libraries
- Foreman gem for serving Rails apps locally
- Heroku Toolbelt for interacting with the Heroku API
- Heroku Config plugin for local
- Homebrew for managing operating system libraries
- ImageMagick for cropping and resizing images
- Postgres for storing relational data
- Postgres gem for talking to Postgres from Ruby
- Watch for periodically executing a program and displaying the output
- Rails gem for writing web applications
- Redis for storing key-value data
- Ruby stable for writing general-purpose code
- RVM for managing versions of the Ruby programming language
- SSH public key for authenticating with Github and Heroku
- Tmux for saving project state and switching between projects
It should take less than 15 minutes to install (depends on your machine).
Laptop is maintained and funded by thoughtbot, inc. The names and logos for thoughtbot are trademarks of thoughtbot, inc.
Thank you, contributors!
Laptop is © 2011-2013 thoughtbot, inc. It is free software, and may be redistributed under the terms specified in the LICENSE file.