How to change posts
rvm use ruby-2.0.0-p247 # must be Ruby 2 or greater to avoid YAML difficulty
gem install jekyll RedCloth
gem install psych — —enable-bundled-libyaml
jekyll auto server
git push heroku
Create a new post
copy over header area from another post
ensure layout is correct
Why Use This Version
- Heroku Ready
- Standard portfolio website format with homepage, blog, and search-engine optimised about page.
How to blog effectively
- Write long well thought out posts.
- Try and create language, new ideas, or come up with Schema
- A reference page will get many links
How to market a new post
- Don’t post at tea time Silicon Valley (possibly.. when I posted automating popularity at this time it got drowned out)
- Post on Facebook as a link (since that allows tracked sharing). Custom descriptions automatically transform a link into a wall post, so don’t do this
- Post on Twitter
- Post on a relevant sub-reddit
- Post on Hackernews
- Do some searches and find relevant stack overflow posts and blog posts on the topic. Either engage the author or write a comment.
- By having a relationship with someone else in the area you can ask them to Tweet it. Proactively reach out to community leaders and people you just straight up like.
You are free to use all the code within, with the exception of the
contents of the _site/ _posts/ and images/ folders, the rights of which
remain wholly my own.