Website Diff with iOS Push Notifications Via Prowl
This bash script monitors a webpage for changes. When changes are found, it sends a push notification via Prowl and archives the new version of the web page. This is a simple script that downloads the url, peforms a diff and reports on any changes.
- Clone or download this repo.
- Install prowl's dependencies, and prowl:
sudo apt-get install libwww-perl -y
sudo perl -MCPAN -e 'install Bundle::LWP'(accept the defaults)
chmod +x prowl.pl
- Move prowl.pl to the
- Edit the website_diff.sh file and configure, by adding your prowl API key and the path to the script (including the website_diff directory).
- Add the urls you wish to monitor to website_diff.sh
- Create a cronjob to execute website_diff.sh at the desired fequency.
The first time a url is scraped, it will send an alert. After that, alerts will only be sent if changes are detected. When a change is detected, the new version of the url is archived in the archive folder.
The prowl push message includes a url argument, so all you have to do is swipe when you receive the message and you will be redirected to the webpage.
Thanks to this post for the inspiration: http://bhfsteve.blogspot.com/2013/03/monitoring-web-page-for-changes-using.html