Do you need an API? Are you tired of AWS and its complicated UI? API design tools can be confusing for beginners, so we set out to create the most simple backend deployment tool on the market - !Backend(pronounced not backend)
What it does
!Backend takes a URL to a public GitHub repository, and gives you a link to run the functions as API requests.
How it works
The service is built using Angular front-end web framework and Python Flask back-end framework. !Backend runs in the following steps:
- Ask for URL input for GitHub public repository
- Send URL to a Python web server
- Backend server converts the
main.pyfrom the GitHub repo to a Python Flask application
- Web server returns API URL that can now call the functions of
The result is an API that looks like this:
When a request is sent, if uses the UUID generated from step 4 to access the correct flask server, and runs the method with the parameters specified
Challenges we ran into
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Created an incredibly simple way to deploy Python APIs
- Created an advanced backend with multiple stages and parts
What's next for !Backend
- API generation depends on many factors - such as return types in the Python functions and structure of program
- Security has to be handled very carefully whenever arbitrary code is being run on a server. Right now, security is not handled that way.
npm install for dependencies and
ng serve to start the website.
export FLASK_APP=service.py;flask run --host 127.0.0.1 --port 5000 to start the Flask web server.