Some extensions for the great GNOME Shell. They are highly opinionated and really not for everyone, although the Shell design could take hints from them. Keep in mind I mostly use the browser and need the desktop to get out of my way.
- Distraction-Free: Show Panel and Message Tray only in the Activities overview. Also removes the hot corner so it's not triggered by accident. Switch to Activities with the Super key or cycle apps with Alt+Tab.
- Remove Workspaces Sidebar: Remove the right-side workspace thumbnails sidebar from the Activities overview. Perfect if you don't use workspaces.
Even though I love GNOME Shell, there are some things which need to be improved. These are other extensions I use where Shell design can also take hints from:
- Maximus: Remove the title bar on maximized windows. Because it's just too much space for a close button and duplicating the app name. Rather, the close button should be in the menu bar line.
- WindowOverlay Icons: Makes it easier to distinguish windows by adding their icon.
- Windows Alt Tab: Because grouping windows by app makes 0 sense.
- Quit Button: I know my name, no need to show it to me all the time.
- Nothing To Do: If I don't use the calendar agenda, just don't show it.
- Remove Accessibility: Don’t need the functions in it and it’s one indicator less.
Short: Do anything you want as long as you credit me.
Copyright (c) 2012 Jan-Christoph Borchardt
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.