Zelda Oracles Randomizer
This program reads a Zelda: Oracle of Seasons or Oracle of Ages ROM (US versions only), shuffles the locations of (most) items and mystical seeds, and writes the modified ROM to a new file. In Seasons, the default seasons for each area are also randomized. Most arbitrary overworld checks for essences and other game flags are removed, so the dungeons and other checks can be done in any order that the randomized items facilitate. However, you do need to collect all 8 essences to get the Maku Seed and finish the game.
There are three ways to use the randomizer:
- Place the randomizer in the same directory as your vanila ROM(s) (or vice versa), and run it. The randomizer will automatically find your vanilla ROM(s) and prompt for further options.
- In Windows, drag your vanilla ROM onto the executable. Same deal as above, except that the ROM and randomizer don't have to be in the same folder.
- Use the command line. Type
./oracles-randomizer -hto view the usage summary.
You can download executables for Windows, macOS, and Linux from the releases page. Don't use the "Download ZIP" link on the main page; that only contains the source code. The download also contains a rudimentary location checklist and item tracker. If you're looking for a more detailed item and map tracker, EmoTracker has a pack developed by Herreteman.
General details common to both games:
- Items and chests are randomized, with these exceptions:
- Renewable shop and business scrub items (bombs, shield, hearts, etc.)
- Small keys
- Gasha seeds and pieces of heart outside of chests
- NPCs that give non-progression items in the vanilla game
- Gasha nut contents
- Fixed drops (from bushes, pots, etc.)
- Maple drops
- Mystical seed trees are randomized, with no more than two trees of each type. Items that use seeds for ammunition start with the type of seed that's on the Horon Village or Lynna City tree.
- For items that have two levels, the first you obtain will be L-1, and the second will be L-2, regardless of the order in which you obtain them. The L-2 shield is an exception.
- There is one flute in the game for a random animal companion, and it's identified and usable as soon as you get it. Only the 150-rupee item in the shop is randomized; the other two usual means of getting a strange flute don't give anything special. The animal companion regions (Natzu in Seasons and Nuun in Ages) match whatever flute is in the seed.
- If tree warp is enabled, holding start while closing the map screen outdoors warps to the seed tree in Horon Village or Lynna City. Tree warp comes with no warranty and is not supported as a "feature", so think carefully before using it.
Q: Is there a place to discuss the randomizer?
A: Yes, the Oracles Discord server (link here). The server is mainly focused on speedrunning, but the #randomizer channel is for anything pertaining to the randomizer.
Q: I found a problem. What do I do?
A: Open an issue about it on GitHub or bring it up in the #randomizer channel in the Oracles discord. Provide your seed's log file either way.
Q: Will you make a cross-game randomizer that combines Ages and Seasons into one ROM?
Q: Can I at least do a linked game?
A: Not yet. Probably in a future version.
- Drenn for ages-disasm.
- Herreteman, dragonc0, Phoenomenom714, and jaysee87 for help with logic, playtesting, design, and "customer support".
- Everyone who helped playtest prerelease versions of the randomizer.