Live Geek or Die
Live Geek or Die (http://www.livegeekordie.com) is a news and opinion site about technology. I designed the backend and the layout and responsive design of the frontend. The stack consists of Varnish, Nginx, Django and MySQL. It is the second public website that I have built.
Stuff I did on the front end that I think is cool
- Responsive design using Bootstrap and Response.js to swap in photos sized appropriately for the viewport.
- Notes slider on the home page will switch between 4 notes on 3 cards to 2 notes on 6 cards depending on viewport. The slider is handled by royalslider.js.
- Article Editor with autosaving.
Stuff I did on the back end that I think is cool
- The crop for Article images is handled with jCrop. When a crop is selected, thumbnails are automatically generated and uploaded to CloudFiles
- Roles are instituted for editors and regular staff
- A cron job pulls in Google Analytics Pageviews, Twitter Shares and Facebook likes every 15 minutes. This is displayed on a staff dashboard
- Data from the MySQL DB from the old Drupal site was imported into the new site.
- Links from the old site redirect to the appropriate article.