rescshri - initrd Linux mini-distro
Rescshri is a shortcut from the combination of the first four letters of the words “rescue” and “shrink”. It is a Linux initram micro-distribution used to shrink the main system partitions on VPS servers.
It is possible to shrink the system partition by disabling all services and after transferring the root using pivot_root – however, this is quite problematic and time-consuming. This is where the rescshri comes in handy.
After restarting the server, we will get access to a smaller version of Linux residing in RAM, containing all the tools necessary to safely reduce/expand the partition and to perform rescue operations on the disks.
Installation of rescshri
- Download amd64 or i686 Debian based rescshri mini-distribution.
- Unpack rescshri.img to /boot directory.
- Copy the start entry from grub.cfg to the end of file /etc/grub.d/40_custom.
- Replace the reference at initrd to /boot/rescshri.img and give the name rescshri to this menu entry.
- Run update-grub.
- Restart the system by holding down the shift key and select rescshri from the list.
- You can use this GitHub project to simply add new programs to this mini-distro.
For more information please visit my website: https://jm.iq.pl/rescshri-linux-mini-distribution
Copyright (c) 2017 Jaromaz https://jm.iq.pl