FluxVision is a set of scripts for playing a YouTube playlist on loop on a Raspberry Pi. Anyone with access to a designated YouTube account can add a video to the playlist. This allows for simple administration of an easy to update, collaboratively-curated (if desired), looping video installation that doesn't require physical access to the player.
- Videos are downloaded once (not streamed)
- Automatically detects and downloads new videos when they are added to the YouTube playlist, usually available within one playthrough
- Automatically mutes at night (times can be edited)
- Support for a character LCD ticker that displays the title of the current video (requires Adafruit_Python_CharLCD)
- Support for an external skip button that advances to the next video
- Support for an external volume knob that adjusts video volume in real time (using a simple analog-to-digital converter with a linear potentiometer connected via GPIO pins)
- Support for blacklisting videos by title (Add the blacklisted title or phrase as a line to 'blacklist.txt')
- Recommended operating system is Raspbian Jessie, on which FluxVision was developed and stress tested. (Omxplayer was found to randomly hang between videos on Raspbian Wheezy.)
- Install youtube-dl
sudo pip install --upgrade youtube_dl
- Install omxplayer and libav-tools
sudo apt-get install omxplayer libav-tools
- Download FluxVision files to your Raspberry Pi
git clone https://www.github.com/jasoneppink/FluxVision
- Update "config.txt" with your playlist ID and other details.
cd FluxVision nano config.txt
- (optional) Uncomment lines in "startup.sh" if you are using a ticker, skip button, or volume knob
- Open /etc/rc.local:
sudo nano /etc/rc.local
and add this line so FluxVision starts at boot:
sudo -u pi /home/pi/FluxVision/startup.sh
- (optional) Clear disk space for downloaded videos. If you're running Raspbian, this command can remove up to 1GB of applications you probably don't use.
sudo apt-get remove wolfram-engine minecraft-pi python-minecraftpi sonic-pi oracle-java8-jdk pistore scratch nuscratch python3-pygame
- Reboot! Videos play as soon as they're downloaded.