The Language Agnostic Template Engine is provided as a shared library with C bindings and a command line tool.
It has many similarities to Shopify's Liquid templating language. After many years of using Liquid, I'm building LATE to keep many of Liquids benefits while fixing a number of it's shortcomings.
Also, I want to provide this to people outside of the Ruby ecosystem.
Goals of LATE
- Strict and well defined scoping rules
- Strict and well defined parsing rules
- Fully configurable filters and tags
- Multiple levels of error handling (super strict where any error will halt rendering, or try to render and just warn on issues)
- Great error reporting with the ability to try to render something no matter what
- File format agnostic, but supports HTML-style escaping